Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Free pattern All Roads lead to Diamonds


ALL ROADS LEAD TO DIAMONDS- DESIGNED
By Annette Derksen
COTTON YARN - COLOR OF YOUR CHOICE
I AM DOING MINE IN WHITE BUT VARIEGATED WOULD WORK OKAY TOO.
REPEAT PATTERN ( 7 + 1)
NEEDLES- SIZE 7 CAD OR USA (4.5mm)
BORDER MOSS STITCH
CAST ON 45 STS
BORDER : ROW 1: K1,P1,K1 ending with K1
Repeat border for 4 rows
PATTERN:
ROW 1: (RS) K1, P1, K1, P3, (K1,P7) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
END WITH K1, P3, K1, P1, K1
ROW 2: K1, P1, K4, (P1,K7) REPEAT 4 TIMES, END WITH P1, K4, P1, K1,
ROW 3: K1, P1, K1, P2 ((K1, P1, K1,P5,) REPEAT 4 TIMES ,
END WITH K1, P1, K1, P2,K1, P1, K1,
ROW 4: K1,P1, K3, (P1,K1, P1, K5) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P1,K1,P1,K3,P1,K1
ROW 5: K1,P1,K1,P1,(K1,P3) REPEAT 9 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K1,P1,K1,P1,K1
ROW 6: K1,P1,K2,(P1,K3) REPEAT 9 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P1,K2,P1,K1
ROW 7: K1,P1,K2,(P5, K1,P1,K1,) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P5,K2,P1,K1
ROW 8: K1,P1,K1,P1,(K5,P1,K1,P1) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K5, P1, K1,P1,K1

ROW 9: K1,P1,K1,(P7, K1) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P7,K1,P1,K1,
ROW 10: K1,P1,K1, (K7,P1,) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K8,P1,K1,
ROW 11: K1,P1,K2,(P5, K1,P1,K1,) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P5,K2,P1,K1
ROW 12: K1,P1,K1,P1,(K5,P1,K1,P1) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K5, P1, K1,P1,K1.

ROW 13: K1,P1,K1,P1,(K1,P3) REPEAT 9 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K1,P1,K1,P1,K1
ROW 14: K1,P1,K2,(P1,K3) REPEAT 9 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P1,K2,P1,K1
ROW 15: K1, P1, K1, P2 ((K1, P1, K1,P5,) REPEAT 4 TIMES ,
END WITH K1, P1, K1, P2, K1, P1, K1,
ROW 16: K1,P1, K3, (P1,K1, P1, K5) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P1,K1,P1,K3,P1,K1
ROW 17: (RS) K1, P1, K1, P3, (K1,P7) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
END WITH K1, P3, K1, P1, K1
ROW 18: K1, P1, K4, (P1,K7) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
END WITH P1, K4, P1, K1,
ROW 19: K1, P1, K1, P2 ((K1, P1, K1,P5,) REPEAT 4 TIMES ,
END WITH K1, P1, K1, P2, K1, P1, K1,
ROW 20: K1,P1, K3, (P1,K1, P1, K5) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P1,K1,P1,K3,P1,K1
ROW 21: K1,P1,K1,P1,(K1,P3) REPEAT 9 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K1,P1,K1,P1,K1
ROW 22: K1,P1,K2,(P1,K3) REPEAT 9 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P1,K2,P1,K1
ROW 23: K1,P1,K2,(P5, K1,P1,K1,) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P5,K2,P1,K1
ROW 24: K1,P1,K1,P1,(K5,P1,K1,P1) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K5, P1, K1, P1, K1
ROW 25: K1,P1,K1,(P7, K1) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P7,K1,P1,K1,
ROW 26: K1,P1,K1, (K7,P1,) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K8,P1,K1,
ROW 27: K1,P1,K2,(P5, K1,P1,K1,) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P5,K2,P1,K1
ROW 28: K1,P1,K1,P1,(K5,P1,K1,P1) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K5, P1, K1, P1, K1
ROW 29: K1,P1,K1,P1,(K1,P3) REPEAT 9 TIMES,
ENDING WITH K1,P1,K1,P1,K1
ROW 30: K1,P1,K2,(P1,K3) REPEAT 9 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P1,K2,P1,K1
ROW 31: K1, P1, K1, P2 ((K1, P1, K1,P5,) REPEAT 4 TIMES ,
END WITH K1, P1, K1,P2, K1, P1, K1,
ROW 32: K1,P1, K3, (P1,K1, P1, K5) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P1,K1,P1,K3,P1,K1

ROWS 33-48 REPEAT ROWS 1-16
ROW 49 - REPEAT ROW 1
ROW 50 - REPEAT ROW 2
BORDER 4 ROWS OF K1,P1,K1, REPEAT TO THE END OF EACH ROW.
CAST OFF AND WEAVE IN END

Baby's blanket pattern is done with 6 stitches for the borders and 136 stitches for
pattern repeat of 8 stitches.





36 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the diamond blanket is beautiful and I would like to make it but there isn't enough stitches for a baby blanket is this a typeo or is this a doll blanket. 45 stiches on size 7 needles is very small. could you e-mail me with your answer.

annette2u said...

Hi Debbie
The pattern is a repeat of 8 stitches
so I used for a blanket
142 stitches
Uses 6 stitches for the borders and 136 for the pattern repeat of 8 sttches.
It makes a beautiful blanket.
Glad you like it and hope this helped you.
The picture is of a cloth when I first designed the pattern.

Karen McPherson said...

Sorry- new to following patterns. If there are 6 stitches for the border, is that 6 on either side of the 136 (8 repeat patterns 17x) -- so you need to cast on 148 stitches? Assuming a baby blanket, how many times, then do you repeat the 8 stitches and how many times do you repeat the 4 stitches? THANKS

Karen McPherson said...

I guess I don't get the border- is that part of the directions? For example, in row 1: k1, p1, k1, p3-- is this the border?

annette2u said...

Hi Karen
The border consist of only 6 stitches which you would do 3 on each side.

Example
k1,p1,k1,( repeat pattern 17 times = 136 st) then do p1,k1,p1 for end border.

Just reminder to change your first and last 3 stitches to moss stitch. You could also just knit them if you find it to complicated. When a person just starts following patterns it is easier if you don't try to put to much in. I know for me when I started it was a lot of practice and YES I still have to frog too, But always think of it as a learning experience.
Hope you are doing okay with the pattern. I am not at home so not able to send you a directly e-mail.

Annette

lainie0831 said...

This would make a beautiful baby blanket! Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

I'd love to make your blanket, but I'd like to know the approximate amount of yarn needed (yards or skeins) and the weight of yarn (I'm assuming worsted weight). Thanks a lot. Marcia

Suzie Fukin Homemaker said...

Could you please send me the pattern for this in baby blanket size, I am having issues knitting it using hte tinier verion pattern. Email me at captianmorgansgirl@yahoo.com

josiegags said...

I have not knitted for many years and I am having problems understanding your directions. I am having a problem with line 7, the stitches to not add up. HELP Jo

josiegags said...

Please explain line 7 as the stitches do not add up.

annette2u said...

ROW 7: K1,P1,K2,(P5, K1,P1,K1,) REPEAT 4 TIMES,
ENDING WITH P5,K2,P1,K1

When anything is in brackets () repeat 4 times

Means repeat p5,k1,p1,k1, x 5 times.

Hope that explains it for you.

Annette

Julie said...

I don't understand how to take the smaller version pattern and make it the blanket size. When you say "pattern repeat of 8 stitches" what does that mean? I understand the 3 stitches for each side of the border, but not how to stitch the remaining 136 stitches. Please help, as I'm dying to get started!

annette2u said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
annette2u said...

Hi Julie
Don't forget your border stitches and them repeat the centre pattern 17 times and then repeat the border.
One of the things that really helps me is to reread your pattern until you can understand what you are to do.
I know it takes time but it does help in the long run because nobody ever writes out the whole pattern.

Hope this helps you get started.

Julie said...

Annette - thank you for the tips. I think I understand the pattern now. However, I was wondering if I wrote out the first 3 rows, if you could please tell me if that's correct, so I know that I understand the pattern correctly? (especially before I get started!)

Row 1: K1 P1 K1 (K1 P7)repeat 17 times, end with P1 K1 P1

Row 2: K1 P1 K1 (P1 K7) repeat 17 times, end with P1 K1 P1

Row 3: K1 P1 K1 (K1 P1 K1 P5) repeat 17 times, end with P1 K1 P1

Thanks for all your help.

annette2u said...

Yes that is correct Julie.

Annette

newknitter said...

I just found this pattern and thougth I understood it. However in the original instructions the first line says to K1, P1, K1 P3 (k1, P7). I understand the repeat of the (). But in the directions one person wrote out for the first 3 rows they left out the P3 on the first row? I am confused and it did not come out right when I started it. Help?

newknitter said...

Also, on the start it says to end with a knit sticth. If I cast on 142 and k1,p1 I keep ended with a purl stitch. I would appreciate any help.
thanks

Amy said...

Warning: I haven't cast on this blanket so this is all based on some number crunching.

For the blanket pattern, I think you would have 6 border sts, 16 repeats of the 8 stitch pattern, and one repeat that is actually 7 stitches, making 141 stitches total.

This matches the numbers from the dishcloth pattern better, and uses an odd cast on number, which is necessary to keep the seed stitch border as written.

If you Cast on 141 sts the first few rows will work out like this

pattern
row 1: K1, P1, K1, P3, (K1,P7)x16 K1, P3, K1, P1, K1

row 2: K1, P1, K4, (P1,K7)x16 P1, K4, P1, K1

row 3: K1, P1, K1, P2 ((K1, P1, K1,P5,)x16 K1, P1, K1, P2,K1, P1, K1,

annette2u said...

Thanks for your imput and looks like you explained it better than I could.
Sometimes it is very difficult to explain things to new knitters and this was based on the original design of a dishcloth.

Unknown said...

I have the same question posed in January...mlincoln35 said... ..


How much yarn is required for a baby blanket...either yards or skeins (and size of skeins) so I know how much to purchase of the same dye lot.

jane

annette2u said...

For a baby's blanket you are going to repeat pattern.You are going to need at least 600grams.
Hope that helps and let me know how you make out.
8st border 136st pattern and another 8sts border.
Total of cast on 152sts.

Annette

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat said...

Ok I am new to knitting but i been crocheting for couple of years. I want to make sure i understand the pattern right. in the pattern it says repeat () 4 times but in but in the comments it says 17.
On the boarder do i alternate the beginning of the row between knits and purls?

Unknown said...

It is really hard to turn the small pattern into a larger one - do you have the full pattern and could you send it to me or publish it ? It's so beautiful. i would love to make it for my upcoming grandson.

djshalit@gmail.com

Chelsea B said...

I just saw this site, love the pattern! Would you please email me the larger version for the baby blanket? chelsea.bleckwehl@gmail.com

Thank you!

Sarah said...

Hi could you please send me the larger version of this also. I am looking to create this for a new niece or nephew I am going to be meeting soon. Thanks. sarahcass1984@googlemail.com

Sarah said...

Hi could you please send me the larger version of this also. I am looking to create this for a new niece or nephew I am going to be meeting soon. Thanks. sarahcass1984@googlemail.com

Sarah said...

Hi could you please send me the larger version of this also. I am looking to create this for a new niece or nephew I am going to be meeting soon. Thanks. sarahcass1984@googlemail.com

Julie P said...

Hi I would also like the pattern for the larger version for a new grandchild. Thanks. jkpierce@gmail.com

Miss M-J said...

I'm having trouble knitting this pattern , some rows I have too many stitches then on other rows I have not enough, please help, do you have any other patterns. Where can I find them.

Unknown said...

I am going to be having another grandson soon, first boy in ttwenty years and would love to knit this . Would you please send me the pattern instructions for baby size blanket along with weight and how many balls of yarn I need......Thank you. zoencher@hotmail.com

Lois said...

Hi Annette! I LOVE your blanket idea. Wondering if you've ever worked out the pattern for the large version? I have a grandson arriving in 3 weeks—yikes! Any help you can give would be MUCH appreciated.
inklings2@centurylink.net

Unknown said...

I also need the larger version of this for a baby blanket. If you could email me the pattern at tylivgran@yahoo.com I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Cindy Brashear

Unknown said...

So how many stitches do i need to first cast on?